Tiny Code

Tiny Code

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Google Experimental Search features

On my commute home today I was listening to a podcast from DL.tv. They mentioned Google Experimental which I'd never heard of but their description sounded pretty intriguing.

Google has added a way to do searches and display the output on a timeline. For example, you can search for the term "civil rights" and have the matching web pages displayed on a timeline. It makes it easy to isolate just the pages which discuss civil rights in the 1950s. Check out the civil rights timeline example search via this link.

They also have a way to to display search results on a map. One of their examples is to search for past Olympic sites. Check out this link to see the results from this search query.

Last but not least, there are a number of other cool new tools at Google Labs. I was familiar with some of these but some I'd never heard of before. I guess I really ought to poke around their "more" button to see what's new at Google more often, eh? Some of these new features look pretty handy.

No comments: