Tiny Code

Tiny Code

Sunday, December 9, 2007

PayPal Security Key


Since I do a lot of technical reading in my spare time, I find myself becoming more and more interested in computer security. One thing I'm particularly concerned about is is the use of usernames and passwords alone for authentication on web sites which contain any of my financial information. A while back while listening to the always entertaining and informative Security Now! podcast, Steve Gibson (one of the hosts) mentioned that PayPal had started offering Security Keys for a nominal fee. These keys display a number which changes in an unpredictable pattern every 30 seconds and which can be used to tighten security on your PayPal and eBay accounts.

PayPal should be commended for offering this capability and at such an affordable price. Multifactor authentication is much safer than its single factor sibling.

Find out more about the PayPal Security Key here. If you have trouble accessing this link, go to PayPal's site, click the Security Center link at the top and click on the picture of the Security Key. This program is on a timed deployment so it may not yet be available outside the U.S.

No comments: