Strap yourself in and prepare to be inundated with evidence of my weird interests, much of which I discovered via my RSS feeds.
Beer
Saturday we had lunch with some friends I met 26 years ago while working at a startup company called Ocular Networks. Since one of these friends moved to New Jersey a few years ago, we have to look for places that are roughly equidistant to get together. This time we chose Troegs Brewing in Hershey, PA. Troegs has been a favorite brewery of mine for about 20 years and their Mad Elf is my absolute favorite winter beer. The mixture of a strong Belgian style ale made with cherries and honey always makes it feel like the holidays to me. During lunch we raised a toast to our friend David who we lost a little over a year ago. David loved beers from Troegs as much as I do.
Books
Today I finished Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return, a graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi, who died a couple months ago. I had read the first volume of Persepolis years ago and while looking at stories about her recent death I learned about this second volume. These books provide insights into what it was like to live in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. They've won awards and I can see why. This is proof that graphic novels can qualify as literature.Television/Movies
This week we finished watching Lucky, a miniseries streaming on Apple TV. It was a suspenseful series and since they didn't drop all the episodes at once, it gave us something to look forward to seeing each week. The cast and writing were excellent. Highly recommended.
We also finished watching the second season of Cross which streams on Amazon Prime Video. It was entertaining but not quite as gripping as the first season was.
Today we saw Spider-Man: Brand New Day at Alamo Drafthouse and it was a fun movie as well as a great movie going experience.
One of the reasons I enjoyed the movie so much is Spider-Man is my favorite superhero. I've been reading comics featuring him since I was a kid. I liked the fact that in the early comics he was a teenager who didn't fit in at school prior to obtaining his powers.
The Alamo experience is so good that I'm reluctant to visit other theaters. One of the many things I love about Alamo is that they feature themed short films for 30 minutes prior to the feature film. For this movie, they had a summary of the previous films Spider-Man has appeared in for people like my wife who don't follow superhero films as closely as I do so they could understand a few of the references in the movie.
At Alamo today I was pleasantly surprised to find a favorite beer like Founders Rübæus on tap there. It's a lovely refreshing raspberry ale which manages to be both sweet and a bit tart at the same time. That just made the movie that much more enjoyable.
Music
While watching Cross, season 2 episode 7, I heard a snippet of a song which I found intriguing. A bit of research showed it to be Devil Always Makes Me Think Twice by Chris Stapleton. I like it because the guitar in this song has a nice bluesy sound to it. I often end up doing searches to find the artist and name of interesting songs which are featured as background in various movies and TV programs we watch. This capability wasn't available when I was young so I enjoy being able to track down interesting music this way.
https://youtu.be/25yizPKZeDo?si=EEqiP2QR5Dw7niVb
https://youtu.be/25yizPKZeDo?si=EEqiP2QR5Dw7niVb
Links
The news that dogs can tell when their owners are happy confirms what I've suspected for as long as we're had dogs. They are amazing companions who have enriched our lives. I say this as our latest rescue dog, a pit bull named Kya, relaxes next to me but as you can see from the photo above pops her head up when I tried to take her picture.
https://time.com/article/2026/08/10/your-dog-can-tell-when-youre-happy/
https://time.com/article/2026/08/10/your-dog-can-tell-when-youre-happy/
This story about J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings being rejected by the Nobel Prize Committee in 1961 should be surprising but I'm skeptical that this and similar prizes are ever awarded to the most deserving art. Tolkien's books are among my favorites and I've revisited them periodically ever since I first read them while in high school..
https://www.openculture.com/2026/05/when-the-nobel-prize-committee-rejected-the-lord-of-the-rings-tolkien-has-not-measured-up-to-storytelling-of-the-highest-quality-1961.html
https://www.openculture.com/2026/05/when-the-nobel-prize-committee-rejected-the-lord-of-the-rings-tolkien-has-not-measured-up-to-storytelling-of-the-highest-quality-1961.html
This interview with Melanie Buggey who crossed the Strait of Georgia in record time is amusing to me mostly because of how offbeat some of her answers are. Humor can help elevate an otherwise routine interview.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/b-c-swimmer-crosses-strait-of-georgia-under-nine-hours-9.7316260
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/b-c-swimmer-crosses-strait-of-georgia-under-nine-hours-9.7316260
Sadly, the fact that Black artists have been largely left out of the history of punk and indie music isn't terribly surprising. It's given me the desire to seek out music from the artists mentioned in this article.
https://thequietus.com/culture/books/history-itself-justifies-our-presence-stephanie-phillips-on-the-erasure-of-black-voices-in-punk-and-indie-music/
https://thequietus.com/culture/books/history-itself-justifies-our-presence-stephanie-phillips-on-the-erasure-of-black-voices-in-punk-and-indie-music/
I found news of members of Gen Z embracing retrotech interesting. While I'm a baby boomer much older than the generation mentioned in the article, I also find retrotech more interesting than most modern tech. User interfaces have gotten more complicated but they don't seem more efficient to me. My latest toy is a Friendly fZ80 computer designed and produced by Tom Jennings which provides Z80 emulation to be able to run the CP/M and MP/M operating systems. If you're a fan of BBSes, you may have heard of FidoNet, which Tom created. I'm looking forward to the HDMI to VGA adapter I ordered arriving so I can give it a try.
https://www.euronews.com/next/2026/08/24/from-ipods-to-wired-headphones-why-more-gen-zers-are-picking-retro-tech
https://www.euronews.com/next/2026/08/24/from-ipods-to-wired-headphones-why-more-gen-zers-are-picking-retro-tech
Since the Z80 is an 8-bit CPU, this article about how 8-bit computers work seems appropriate.
https://amenzwa.github.io/stem/ComputingHistory/How8bitComputersWork/
https://amenzwa.github.io/stem/ComputingHistory/How8bitComputersWork/
The small brains called organoids which scientists have been growing for experiments apparently have a sense of time spanning several years. That makes me wonder whether these little brains are more aware of other things about their environment which we don't know about yet.
https://thedebrief.org/scientists-grew-human-brain-organoids-for-years-and-discovered-they-keep-track-of-time/
https://thedebrief.org/scientists-grew-human-brain-organoids-for-years-and-discovered-they-keep-track-of-time/
A teacher in Illinois built an amazingly detailed model of Disney World out of Lego. I'm fascinated by miniature models of real world things like this.
https://www.stlpr.org/culture-history/2026-08-19/illinois-disney-world-lego-kragle-kreations
https://www.stlpr.org/culture-history/2026-08-19/illinois-disney-world-lego-kragle-kreations
Working on the Mars rover Perserverance which is capable of operating autonomously much of the time, must have been tremendously satisfying. Seeing the product of years of planning and implementation operate so well has to feel good.
https://arstechnica.com/space/2026/08/the-first-self-driving-vehicle-on-mars-has-proven-to-be-a-smashing-success/
https://arstechnica.com/space/2026/08/the-first-self-driving-vehicle-on-mars-has-proven-to-be-a-smashing-success/
Who knew semi-truck racing was a thing in Columbia?
https://www.thedrive.com/news/insane-semi-truck-racing-event-has-trailer-on-time-attack
https://www.thedrive.com/news/insane-semi-truck-racing-event-has-trailer-on-time-attack


No comments:
Post a Comment
I moderate comments to prevent spam. Please be patient until I have time to approve your message.